This morning we went over to the observation tower in the park and climbed it. It is 66 steps up and 166 steps down... and we both made it without hurting ourselves :-)) We could see bits of the Mississippi River from up there. There is a dead tree in front of the tower and a flycatcher spent a few minutes high in its top... the tree top that I was eye level with. I thought I had no need to haul my big lens with me. Such luck I have! There was also a Downy or Hairy Woodpecker and another woodpecker... maybe a redheaded. I really did need the big lens! It sure was pretty up there.
A walk through the cemetery in the park was interesting. There are graves dating from 1840... maybe older.. a lot of the gravestones are not readable. As we walked through the cemetery we heard bees buzzing. We looked high up at a tree and the bees were coming out of a hole in the tree fast and thick. As we made our way back out of the cemetery we could only see a few bees exit the hole in the tree. We were sweating pretty good by now... 8:30 am (CT) and 85°. We are in the land of humidity again :-))
We drove to what is left of Grand Gulf. It is mostly fishing camps now... just a few people back in the area. On the way back from there a racoon ran in front of us... Frank got him on video.
We then drove into Port Gibson. I had hoped to get a good picture of the Jewish Temple there, but there just was not a good shot. It is interesting to look at though. We topped the tank off there at $2.99 a gallon.
We came back to the park and went through the museum and took a few pictures around the grounds.
Back to camp and lunch of hamburger in gravy, rice and peas... and biscuits.
The humidity got worse as the day progressed. Frank straightened the truck up some and I straightened the trailer up. We took a shower at the bath house and about needed another one as soon as we got out.
Our evening was spent watching Jack Benny again. He is funny.


No comments:
Post a Comment